**Obligatory Note of Caution: the egg in this dish does cook some when mixed with the hot pasta, but not completely. If you are preparing food for children, the elderly, or the immune compromised, always make sure your eggs are thoroughly cooked.** The public health degree holding part of me is now satisfied.
from Passionate Vegetarian, by Crescent Dragonwagon (and no, I don't think that's her real name, but she makes some darn tasty food)
The One, the Only, the Greatest Garlic Spaghetti
8 oz. spaghetti or fettuccine
1 large egg
4 to 5 cloves garlic, peeled
3 to 4 Tbs. butter, softened
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. dried basil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Crushed red pepper (optional)
Bacon bits, veggie or real (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of water to vigorous boil, and drop in the pasta.
2. As the pasta cooks, gently warm either the serving bowl or individual plates.
3. Combine the egg, garlic, butter, Parmesan, basil, a little salt, and a lot of pepper in a food processor. Buzz, pausing to scrape down the sides, until a thick paste forms.
4. When the pasta is al dente, drain it but do not rinse. Quickly transfer it to a bowl and dollop it with the garlic paste. Toss like mad, adding a little more pepper and a dash or two more salt. The garlic aroma should be driving you crazy by now, so...
5. Sit down and eat from the warmed plates, sprinkling with the optional red pepper flakes, bacon bits, or more grated Parmesan.